New methods of high-energy particle manipulation have been predicted
which allow to develop more effective methods of conditioning of beams
of high-energy particle accelerators. These methods open up new ways of the
Large hadron collider luminosity increase in the upgrade process.
One of the methods is based on the newly predicted effect of multiple volume
reflection from the planes of one bent crystal. This method was observed at CERN
for both positive and negative particles in cooperation with National Institute
of Nuclear Physics (INFN) of Italy and for a sequence of bent crystals at Institute
of High Energy Physics in Protvino.
The effect of multiple volume reflection is also
accompanied by specific type of hard gamma-radiation. This effect is also studied at
CERN and opens up new possibilities of conversion of high-energy electron-gamma beams
in particle detectors.
Scientific leader — Prof. V.V. Tikhomirov
1. V.V. Tikhomirov, A technique to improve crystal channeling efficiency of charged particles.
JINST 2 P08006, doi:10.1088/1748-0221/2/08/P08006 .
2. V.V. Tikhomirov, Multiple Volume Reflection from Different Planes Inside One Bent
Crystal arXiv:0705.4206 . Phys. Lett. B. 2007. V. 655. N. 5-6. P. 217-222.
3. V.V. Tikhomirov, A narrow plane cut near the crystal surface increases the probability of
capture into the stable channelling motion up to 99 percent arXiv:0703085 .
4. V. Guidi, A. Mazzolari and V.V. Tikhomirov, Increase in probability of ion capture
into the planar channelling regime by a buried oxide layer. J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 42, N. 16, 2009. 165301 (6pp)
doi: 10.1088/0022-3727/42/16/165301 .
5. W. Scandale, … V.V.Tikhomirov, First observation of multiple volume reflection by
different planes in one bent silicon crystal for high-energy protons. Phys. Lett. B. 2009. V. 682. N. 3 P. 274-277.
6. V. Guidi, A. Mazzolari, and V.V. Tikhomirov, On the Observation of Multiple Volume
Reflection from Different Planes Inside One Bent Crystal. J. Appl. Phys. 2010. Vol. 107. Issue 11.
114908 8 p. DOI: 10.1063/1.3407526 .
7. V.V. Tikhomirov, On the Circular Polarization of Positrons Moving in Channeling Conditions
in Bent Crystal at Small Angles with Respect to Atomic Strings. Nonlinear Phenomena in Complex Systems.
V. 13:4. 2010. 409-415.
8. W. Scandale, … V.V.Tikhomirov, Observation of multiple volume reflection by different planes
in one bent silicon crystal for high-energy negative particles. EPL. 2011. V. 93. P. 56002-p1 – 56002-p4.
9. V. Guidi, A. Mazzolari, V. V. Tikhomirov How to make coherent bremsstrahlung circularly polarized.
Nuovo Cimento C. 34(4)(2011) DOI: 10.1393/ncc/i2011-10929-3 .
10. V. Guidi, A. Mazzolari, V. V. Tikhomirov Electromagnetic radiation accompanying multiple volume
reflection in one crystal. Nuovo Cimento C. 34(4)(2011)63.
11. V. Guidi, A. Mazzolari, V. V. Tikhomirov New approaches to the crystal collimation.
Nuovo Cimento C. 34(4)(2011)399. DOI: 10.1393/ncc/i2011-10954-2 .
12. Tikhomirov, V.V. Sytov, A.I. To the positive miscut influence on the
crystal collimation efficiency.
13. V. Tikhomirov, A. Sytov. To the positive miscut influence on the crystal collimation
efficiency . "VANT" journal - "Problems of Atomic Science and Technology". Series:
Nuclear Physics Investigations. 2012, N1, p.88-92.